Network Engineer and System Administrator
Nikola Broadband is looking to fill an immediate position for a full-time Network Engineer/System Administrator. The person, we are looking to hire for this job will be responsible for maintaining our existing network and improve it as we grow. Nikola Broadband services nearly 1000 local ISP customers in the Sequim Washington area and has other operations that have reach around the globe.
Responsibilities will include:
- Design, build, commission, and maintain sophisticated and reliable networking solutions in an existing production multi-vendor ISP environment
- Participate in the evaluation and refinement of networks, tools, and hardware
- Prepare and maintain complete documentation of new and existing solutions
- Develop effective training materials on new and existing deployments
- Respond to requests for assistance from lower-echelon support assets in a timely and supportive manner
- Assist the operations team in general data center and network operations and support
- Plan and assist with scheduled maintenance activities
- Must be able to function in an active and diverse team environment
- Maintain a positive image of Nikola Broadband and its affiliates
- Assisting in the documentation, and improvement, of all our existing customer support systems and processes
- Keeping current on technologies as they are now used, or anticipated to be used by Nikola Broadband
- Have or gain knowledge of wireless radio technologies for fiber replacement and last-mile customer access. This includes their licensing status, bandwidth, frequency, and method of operation.
- Maintain network servers such as file servers, VPN gateways, intrusion detection systems, firewalls, database servers, mail servers, and ERP systems (PowerCode, Basecamp, 1Password).
- Keep licensing in compliance with software and hardware.
- Solid troubleshooting and communication skills.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken
- Nothing that would disqualify a candidate from being insurable while driving a company vehicle, or having access to sensitive records.
- Comfortable working at heights and use of a fall arrest harness.
- The work environment may include enclosed spaces and the requirement to lift equipment and antennas into position.
- In-depth knowledge of networks and, DNS Servers, Mail servers, Linux, Hypervisors, Hyper-V and VMWare, Cisco network switching technology, ASA firewalls, and network security
Our preferred candidates:
Will have the following qualifications
- At least 5 years of experience in a systems administrator role.
- Degree in computer technology or related field.
- Proficient in PowerCode, Mikrotik
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Team oriented
- Ability to work efficiently with minimal oversight and direction.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Additional helpful skills
- Knowledge of Cambium, UBNT and other common WISP vendors.
- Ability to analyze and report the health of a fixed wireless network
- Proven ability to excel in a fast-paced environment with multiple changes to schedules
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once without sacrificing attention to detail
- Comfortable working outdoors in order to properly document network
- Current Valid Driver’s License
- A valued role at a local Internet company with over 14 years of operational experience
- A variety of duties & advanced learning environment
- A good living wage for our rural area
- Bonuses based on company profit
Salary rate $55000 – $80000 per year. Negotiated compensation depends on skillset and experience.
Paid birthday, vacation, and holiday days. Paid sick leave
We are not offering relocation packages for these positions, nor working with outside recruiters at this time.